Here are 7 tips to make sure you get maximum enjoyment from your Softub while spending minimum time maintaining it.
1. To keep the outside clean and the outer material from fading, it’s ideal to use a TubGuard Protective Cover. We also recommend using 303Aerospace Protectant 3-4 times per year which keeps the outer vinyl looking new by conditioning the vinyl and putting a protective sunscreen on at the same time.
2. Add Softcare Chlor (or our Pettis brand equivalent) to sanitize the water. These products have been specially formulated for your vinyl-lined spa. Using this product after each use or as needed will help keep the tub safe to use and the water looking good. Make sure to always leave the lid open for 15 minutes after adding this product to allow for the product to gas off.
3. Test the water at least once per week. It is very important to make sure that the water’s pH is in an acceptable range. Test strips usually only last for about one year so if the date is bad toss them and get some new ones. It’s also important to check your total alkalinity and your total hardness as well. Always keep these water balance parameters in the proper range as improper water balance can cause damage to your liner.
4. If you wish to cut down on your chlorine usage, try a Spa Frog. These little cartridges are amazing to cut down overall chlorine usage while providing continuous protection against bacteria growth for 4 months. Be sure to replace your Spa Frog every 4 months as the material inside becomes inert and is no longer doing anything for you past this time. This is also approximately how often you should be draining and re-filling your Softub so it works out perfect!
5. Drain your tub every 4-6 months. This will help you use less product and keep the water fresher. We recommend using Swirl Away at least once per year when draining the tub to clean the things you cannot see inside the tub. Swirl Away will purge the bio-film that can accumulate in the plumbing lines.
6. Wash out your filter every month or as needed. Spray & Rinse Filter Cleaner makes the job much easier than just using a hose by dissolving body oils that simply rinsing with water cannot remove. This will also make sure you get a year of life out of your filter. Change your filter at least annually. Reference our filter guide when ordering to make sure you order the correct filter.
7. Spa Perfect is an enzyme that you add to your spa weekly that helps clean the filter and keep the water fresh by literally digesting body oils, perspiration, etc. This is an excellent product to prolong that ‘just-filled’ look of your spa water. Also, if you are on well water, don’t forget to add Gon (or Pettis Metal & Scale Control) weekly to keep stains from forming on your tub. If you are on city water, then adding Gon at each fill should be enough.
If you ever are confused or have a question, please do not hesitate to call us. Also, if you live far from our Rochester, NY area stores and are getting your water tested professionally elsewhere, please call our office with your results BEFORE adding any chemical to your water that you’re not familiar with. Many places are not familiar with the unique needs of a Softub and may inadvertently give you improper advice. We are always here to walk you through what you need to do so you do not damage your hot tub.